Saturday, July 26, 2008

50 Series


The final project for my second semester drawing class was to complete a series of 50 drawings, based on one subject. The idea behind the assignment is that the artist reaches a point where they are so frustrated with drawing the same thing over and over again that a dramatic change occurs in the style and execution of the latter half of the series. For my series I chose to draw portrait heads, with the intent of moving from constructing the head with a series of gestures to being able to draw the head with one continuous line. The earlier drawings in the series took upwards of twenty minutes to complete, whereas toward the end, I could finish a drawing in less than two minutes.

One thing I constantly strive to reflect in my work is the wabi-sabi aesthetic. Wabi-sabi is a Japanese aesthetic that roughly centered on the transient qualitites of things. That is, the pursuit of beauty that is "imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete." (Leonard Koren, Wabi-Sabi: for Artists, Designers, Poets and Philosophers)

No comments: